Friday, December 2, 2011

18 years later



Back when I was a young boy. I was a very ambitious boy scout. I always earned all my badges and had a lot of fun earning the different ranks. When I was trying to advance from the 2nd class to a first class I had to swim 100 yards. I tried and tried. My scout master was in the water with me watching me fail. I gave it all i had. But that wasn't good enough. No one ever taught me to swim. I lost interest in scouts. Lost my book. And never advanced. Swimming was my road block. Now here I am 18 years later. Learning to swim so I can do triathlons. Today I swam 100 meters. Roughly 100 yards. It was a big day for me. Moral of the story is. Well i'm not really sure. but let's say don't give up. You can do anything you set your mind to. Today I swam 100 meters. I plan on being able to swim 2.4 miles in open water and then ride 112 miles on my bike, and then run a marathon.. And yes I will do it.

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

lol, I always thought of that story when I was doing the swim tests for the scouts. Seriously if you can struggle across that pool you should pass as a scout. I never failed anyone. They are so safe in the water at scout activities you really don't need to know how to swim at all.

April and Davey said...

i know right. he should have either said. close enough. you pass. or taught me to swim

Michael said...

My dad didn't get his eagle for the same reason. What tri are you going for?

April and Davey said...

not sure which tri's i;m going to do next year. running boston in april. After I finish that. then i'll make some plans.

Marc and Rachael said...

That's awesome! I still don't know how to "swim." I can make it across the pool struggling but, it never looks great, so I think you are awesome for challenging yourself to swim in open water... I would freak out and give up so just the fact you even have the desire to do it is amazing to me!! Woo hoo!!

Find your car. Keep your car

via IFTTT